Thursday, September 16, 2010

Antique and Vintage Kimono Fabric: Visual and Tactile Inspiration


I just have to share some photos of the gorgeous antique and vintage kimono fabrics that arrived yesterday from Japan.


Even the stamps on the package are gorgeous...

I got these from togei, a shop on Etsy. I purchased them because I am making inspiration canvases and boards with some of the supplies from Bumbershoot Supplies and I want to pair the Japanese beads and cabochons with vintage Japanese textiles.


Plus, my hands have been itching for fabric. Even before mixed media, my deepest roots are in sewing and embroidery and crochet, all of which I learned as a child.

On the left is an antique cotton, with gorgeous flying cranes. This one dates to Meiji-Taisho, where Meiji = 1868-1912 and Taisho = 1912-1926.  The two other pieces are pre-WWII silk, dating roughly somewhere between 1912 and 1939.

Plus, I was also able to purchase some lengths of very old vintage, possibly antique silk "fringe", a scalloped ribbon.  Just look at these colors! 


I've even managed to clear off my work bench and clean up my studio, so I should be able to start working with these textiles very soon. Can't wait!

1 comment:

  1. Oh these are so beautiful. I am so excited for you and can't wait to see what you dream up for such amazing finds.

    ReplyDelete