Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Women. Wednesday Stamper


This is a creation for the Wednesday Stamper challenge blog, where the theme this week is "women" in honor of Women's History Month in the United States.  This is an artist trading card (ATC) created in memory of my maternal grandmother.  She is the one in the center, in the lovely flapper dress. You probably can't see it, but her outfit is complete with a long strand of pearls and rolled down stocking.  Her family was British and her father served in WWI.  His pet name for her was Poppy (after the Flanders Fields poem). I have a couple of beautiful fabric post cards of his correspondence to her during WWI (see below).  I am so inspired by women I see around me, creating inspiration and history every day, whether or not we hear of them.


The background of this card was a photo of poppies from our garden that I digitally altered.  The photo of her family is placed over the background and I've used stamps in 2 places: for the words and along the side, where I stamped into modeling paste with a swirling stamp, then inked over the top.  Embellished with vintage beads.

Below are two of my great grandfather's post cards to my grandmother from WWI. My mother had these framed some years ago, so there is reflection from the glass over the card, but their beauty can still be seen.



6 comments: