Saturday, February 14, 2009

Amazing Buttons


Vintage buttons are simply amazing to me. So much history, craftsmanship, so many stories packed into a small and often little regarded item. I also love the old button cards themselves, the designs and the artistic way the buttons themselves were presented.


I love the one below because of the gorgeous graphics, the flower-like button presentation and the name. I did a bit of research and learned that Lady Washington Pearls were made by the American Pearl Button Company, located in Washington, Iowa. These buttons are beautifully carved around the rims. They were likely made in the 1930's.


I have been collecting vintage buttons to use in making jewelry for Bumbershoot Designs and also for our soon-to-open supply shop on Etsy, Bumbershoot Supplies. These are some lovely ivory china buttons I found at a wonderful local antique shop, Antika.



These were made in France, likely 1940's. They are a glorious rich ivory, in perfect condition on their cards. A great find. They pair beautifully with antiqued brass, vintage rhinestone buttons and 1940's Japanese glass pearls, as below:


No comments:

Post a Comment