Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Soarin', flyin'


As I do several times a week, I walked at Discovery Park this morning. Discovery is a true natural jewel in the Seattle park system, and I treasure my time spent there. But today was very, very special. As I came out of the woods, heading for the bluff and that magnificent view of Puget Sound, I saw two eagles. You can regularly see eagles surfing the air currents that come in from the water, and it is always a thrill to see those magnificent birds. But today they were so low, just above the tree tops and very close to the edge of the bluff, that I thought for sure I could reach up and pluck them out of the sky. They were not too big, and beautifully sleek. What a breathtaking experience to be so close to these magnificent creatures, in flight yet! Eventually one landed in the top of a nearby tree, and I stood for a while, just to watch. Sadly, I did not have my camera with me (I promise never again to go to Discovery Park without my camera). But I wanted to write about this because I don't want to forget how privileged and inspired I felt to have had this experience today.
The photo above was taken at Discovery Park several days ago and the eagles I saw today were surfing right above the tree to the right of the picture. Just imagine that!

No comments:

Post a Comment