Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Seeing Stars in Seattle. Artist Trading Card (ATC). Three Muses



This is my entry for the Three Muses challenge this week, "Seeing Stars".  It is an artist trading card (ATC) made with my hand dyed fabric, sun printed with stars, stitched and embellished with handmade paper, vintage dictionary paper, sequins and my latest vintage delight, rose montees - tiny crystals set in metal settings that can be glued, or wired or sewn through the channels on the back of the setting.


I am always astounded at how many stars we can see in Seattle, just from the back porch. You'd think that the lights of a big city would wash out the night sky, but (when it is not raining!) I see lots and lots of stars. It always makes me wish to be somewhere well and truly dark, where the city light would be removed, like a curtain lifted, and the true radiance of the heavens revealed.

18 comments:

  1. Wow...what an awesome, gorgeous piece! I bet you can see some beautiful stars in Seattle! I know here in Virginia, some of the night skies are absolutely breathtaking! But back to your piece - BRAVO! I love it! LynnF

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh oh oh, it looks beautiful! it also looks like you put a lot of time into creating it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lovely ATC- beautifully crafted and designed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful piece, so reflective of the night sky's magic! So pretty! Hugs, Terri

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a great piece for this theme. when i lived in idaho in the country, i was astounded at how many stars there were, but stars are incredible no matter where you live. great job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I start a new week in the challenge, excited to know that there are going to be so many unique and beautiful designs - and I am never disappointed. Your "Seeing Stars" ATC is delightful, especially as it comes with your journey from beginning to end. This is always a great bonus, especially for those of us haven't yet dared to get into handmade art and crafts.
    Great work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your comment reminded me of a night on my first visit to my daughter and her husband after they'd moved to Oregon. Between Corvallis and Albany, one dark night, my son-in-law pulled the car over to the roadside and said, "Let's get out and look up", and we all were treated to the most glorious display of starlight I've ever seen. Truly, your great northwest seems to have more stars than anywhere!! I love your stitchery. It's beautiful. AND, I thank you for jogging my memory of that night!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful texture, love the sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous ATC, that fabric is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. i love everything about this little piece! the sun dying is incredible! fantastic colors!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know envy is a BAD thing, but I think you would find it difficult to know HOW MUCH I envy anyone who can make this kind of magnificent art. Absolutely gorgeous my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A gorgeous ATC.Your dyed fabric is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love fabric ATCs, and your star card is really beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. your atc is amazingly cute!! Love the stars and I adore your star atc

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful ATC! its a great and pefect combination of the materials and methods.

    (^-^)Lavennz

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, love how you used the materials!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nice to see some different ATCs... lovely stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That fabric ATC is fabulous! You have done a great job! Gaby

    ReplyDelete