Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Featured Artist. Cathy Sizer of Rings of Desire on Etsy.


It is my pleasure to share with you the work of Cathy Sizer of Rings of Desire on Etsy.


Cathy's enthusiam for creating jewelry designs with comtemporary and vintage components is palpable.  You can feel it right through the Internet.  I learned of her enthusiasm because of photos she shared with me of designs she has created using supplies from Bumbershoot Supplies.  If you visit her shop and read her enthusiastic descriptions of her designs, you'll see just what I mean.

Just 1 month ago, Cathy retired as a pediatric nurse practitioner and she is now using the time she used to spend nurturing others in nurturing herself via beading and designing.


I find it so inspiring to see how others use the vintage supplies we stock at Bumbershoot Supplies.  Usually I have ideas in mind for the supplies we bring in, if I were to work with them myself (which is seems there is never enough time to do!).  But those are only my ideas, and I am so enriched by seeing how others use our supplies.  Truly, I am in awe of the depths of human creativity and imagination. 


I enjoy how Cathy takes the best of contemporary and the best of vintage and combines the two into new and interesting patterns and forms. You will often find matched sets at Rings of Desire, for example earrings and necklaces made with the same components, very much in keeping with the vintage costume jewelry esthetic.


And one other aspect of Cathy's work that is very special is that she often uses vintage costume jewelry components that she inherited from her mother-in-law, Shirley, who passed on last year at the age of 90.  Including such special pieces embues Cathy's designs with an extra dose of love. 


I hope you will consider a trip to visit Rings of Desire. Enjoy the inspiration and be sure to say hi to Cathy while you are there!

3 comments:

  1. Cathy really captures the heart and desire of a woman. You can sense her love for the art in each piece. Her creations seem limitless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh yeah, this lady has a true talent. I saved this page. I think we have a new customer here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. To Sarah, PCL and NYC - what lovely comments! I dooooo love this and am sooooo glad it shows!
    Thank you! Cathy

    ReplyDelete